An Overview of Coronovirus
March 12, 2020 Posted by: Sai Siva Childrens Hospital 4 Views RSS
Coronavirus has recently made headlines after its terrorizing effects in certain parts of the world. India has also briefly experienced the wrath of this virus. However, fortunately, our government and the health councils are working their best to contain the pathogen and keep you safe. But what exactly is this virus? And how can you keep yourself safe?
Let’s understand it.
What Is CoronaVirus?
CoronaVirus is a family of viruses that have been observed to affect animals. Lately, some members of this family also affect humans also like COVID-19 (2019, China), MERS-CoV (2012, Middle-East), SARS (Feb 2003), etc. However, it is not a fatal condition (only 3.4% mortality rate, not much unlike the common cold) and can be treated easily if diagnosed early.
What Causes CoronaVirus?
Unlike the urban myth, CoronaVirus does not transfer through the air.
It spreads through the bodily fluids – sputum, water particles from a sneeze, saliva, etc. This means you stand a chance of getting infected if you come in contact or in close proximity. If you live with an infected person or touch an object that has been touched by a contaminated (not necessarily infected or someone showing symptoms), you may get the virus. People who have a high risk of getting infected are elderly people and people with a weakened immune system.
How Can You Prevent It?
At this moment, nothing is more important than personal hygiene. The first step to prevent any sort of flu is avoiding coming in contact with the pathogen. Here are some practices that you need to adopt immediately.
- Use a hand sanitizer as often as you can. Use it to clean your hands, wrists, and also your arms up to the elbow.
- Avoid touching your face with an unsanitized hand.
- Avoid directly touching the most publicly accessed areas. For example, railings of the staircase, the biometric in your office, door handles, etc.
- Keep your house, cookwares, and clothes clean and sanitized.
- Avoid traveling to places where there is news of infection.
- In this hour of awareness, you must also be mindful that if you do have the virus, you do not spread it to the others. In light of that:
- Cover your face while coughing and sneezing.
- Avoid public spaces as much as you can.
- Wear a mask at all times.
- Do not encourage well-wishers to visit you.
- Visit a doctor as soon as you experience a symptom
- Stay safe, keep safe – that is the best way that we can beat this wide-spreading CoronaVirus.
What Are The Symptoms Of CoronaVirus?
The symptoms of CoronaVirus are not unlike any other flu. After about 2-14 days of coming in contact with the virus, you may experience cough, fever, shortness of breath, and fatigue. If left untreated, it can cause severe damage to the lungs which can, in turn, affect your vital organs and ultimately become fatal.
How Is CoronaVirus Treated?
Unfortunately, to date, there is no vaccine to prevent or cure CoronaVirus. But doctors can help you manage the symptoms. You will get some relief while you wait for the virus to get flushed out from your system. Quarantine or isolation of the patient is practiced now so that the infection does not spread. However, with good care within 2 weeks, the infection will subside and you will not have any CoronaVirus in you anymore.
If you notice any symptom in yourself or any person around you, it is highly recommended that you seek medical advice immediately.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
February 12, 2020
January 07, 2020
December 28, 2019
October 27, 2019
October 24, 2019
October 21, 2019
October 21, 2019
October 18, 2019
October 14, 2019
October 08, 2019